Bob Hayward – The Good Old Days

16. Bob Hayward - The Good Old Days-1

Bob Hayward started his career with the Utah Highway Patrol with badge number 71 and within a year his badge number was 59. He retired in 1986 with badge number 6. He served in every division of the Utah Highway Patrol during his 33 year career except dispatch.

HIS FAMILY WAS HEAVILY INVOLVED IN LAW enforcement. His brother became the Salt Lake County Sheriff, his sister, Bonnie Snodgrass, was the personnel officer many of us interacted with in the 1970’s, and the 1980’s and his son-in-law, Dave Popelmayer became a trooper. Today, at 86 years old, Bob Hayward continues to be active.

He still goes fishing two to three times a week at East Canyon and Strawberry. He duck hunts any chance he can and is still an avid skeet shooter. He reads a great deal and likes to watch western movies and the old western TV series. He looks the same today as he did back in 1986 except for a few more white hairs. But when you look at where he has been and what he has  done you see where he got the white hair.

Robert “Bob” Hayward, a veteran of the United States Navy, served on an aircraft carrier in the Pacific during World War II. After the war Bob worked several jobs one of which was at a service station near the Salt Lake County Jail. Bob’s brother “Pete” Hayward was working as a deputy who transported inmates from jail to court and back. Bob’s interest was piqued in law enforcement.

Bob tested and was hired with six others to become Utah Highway Patrol troopers. Five of the six, Bob Hayward, Gordon Farnsworth, Leonard Jewkes, Ken Clements, Willis Vincent and Lowell Bair reported to the Utah State Prison on June 30 to begin law enforcement training.

The groups training lasted a week under the watchful eye of Capt. Rulon Bennion who was the department mother and mentor for the new recruits. They had training in first aid, shooting, traffic law, and accident investigation. At the end of training each of the six troopers were taken to get their patrol cars. Five of the six new troopers received cars. Bob was the odd man out. He asked if he was going to be getting a car. He was told he would but it was in the shop getting a new motor and would take three or four days for it to get installed.

That first car was a 1951 Ford which was one of the fastest patrol cars in northern Utah with that new motor.

The first few days Bob rode with Trooper John Rogers to learn the county and the ropes of the job. Trooper Rogers was a two-year veteran. He was also tutored by Trooper Dee Reese and Lee Bybee. Bob worked Davis County for three years. Working for the Patrol was six days a week, nine to ten hours a day. Sometimes troopers had the luxury of having a second officer on duty during their shift. Bob tried to have another officer work with him if he observed a drunk or another individual who would be going to jail. The Davis County jail had four cells and no jailer on duty. Once the arrested person was put in a cell they were left unattended much of the time. Bob tells a story about a drunk he put in a cell. The prisoner was the only occupant. He begged Bob not to leave him alone. Bob told him that’s the way it was and maybe next time he would think about that before he drove drunk.

A troopers equipment at the time consisted of a pistol, shotgun, handcuffs, night stick, first aid kit, and a car with a siren, red light, and two-way radio with a limited number of channels, four at the most. Troopers hired before Bob were lucky to even have a two-way radio in the car. Some of the original radios were receive only. The patrol cars did not have am radios. They were a luxury and a distraction.

16. Bob Hayward - The Good Old Days-2Bob transferred to Salt Lake County in 1956. He was involved in the Patrols response to the 1957 prison riots. He stood next to Lt. Ross McDonald and was backed up by thirty other troopers. They were on one side of a large steel door, on the other side was the rioting inmates. An announcement was made that the door was going to be opened and the inmates needed to go back to their cells. They were told there was a force behind the door that would deal with them. Lt. McDonald told Bob to shoot the first inmate that came through the door when it was opened. Bob said he had never been told to shoot someone like that. He was nervous when the door opened. He and the other troopers faced a group of hostile inmates. The inmates saw the thirty troopers with shotguns leveled at them. They started back pedaling and returning to their cells. The inmates didn’t come through the door and Bob did not have to shoot.

Bob was member of the Utah Highway Patrol Pistol team for 28 years. He was a member of the Governor’s Twenty. This is the top twenty law enforcement shooters in the State of Utah each year. Ike Orr, Bill Duncan, Ron Gale, Leonard Ferguson, and Bob went to the National Law Enforcement Pistol Championships in Mississippi in the 1960’s representing Utah on two occasions. They traveled in Bob’s station wagon patrol car. There were shooting events where Bob was made the range master so he could not shoot against the other competitors.

Bob was promoted to Sergeant in Salt Lake County. He was also a sergeant over the ASAP team. The ASAP crew was the first special enforcement team that focused on drunk drivers. In its first two years of operation the five troopers and one sergeant arrested 1500 drunks and had a 98% conviction rate.

It was while Bob was the supervisor with ASAP that he was “sitting in his patrol car outside his home at 3 a.m. on Aug. 16, 1975.” He was finishing a shift log when he noticed a tan Volkswagen drive by. Minutes later, his radio crackled with a call for assistance, Bob responded. Bob took a wrong turn leaving the subdivision and stumbled on the VW parked in front of a neighbor’s home. Bob knew the owners were on vacation and their teen-age daughters were home alone.

When Bob’s lights hit the car it fled, careening through the neighborhood and barreling onto a main road before pulling into an abandoned gas station. Bob was close behind, his gun drawn.

“I’m lost,” Bundy said, his hands raised. He said he had been at the drive-in, watching “Towering Inferno.” But Bob knew that movie wasn’t playing. Bob searched the car and found pantyhose, a ski mask, a crowbar, an ice pick, and handcuffs.’’(Robert Gehrke Associated Press writer Published: Sunday, Aug. 20 2000 12:00 a.m. MDT).

Theodore “Ted” Bundy was arrested and booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for evading. Bob called his brother who was the head of detectives for the Salt Lake County Sheriff’s office. He told Pete something was not right with the guy he had arrested. Pete said he would have one of his men check into it. Jerry Thompson, a detective with the Salt Lake County SO, later called Bob about Bundy. That traffic stop and arrest started the process of the execution of one of America’s most prolific serial killers.

Bob became the president of the Utah Peace Officers Association in 1976. In December of 1977 Sgt. Hayward and officers from his crew, along with an additional 90 troopers were sent to Carbon County in response to a strike by union coal miners. The miners were blocking roads and had damaged vehicles which were transporting non-union miners to and from the coal mines. Troopers escorted non-union miners to and from the mines for almost a month before the strike ended.

On January 18, 1979, Sgt. Bob Hayward and Sgt. Floyd Farley were sent to Summit County to assist the Summit County Sheriff’s office in serving an arrest warrant on John Singer, a polygamist who refused to send his children to public school. Singer had previously pulled a pistol and ordered the sheriff off his property. A week after the incident with the sheriff, Singer pulled a pistol and threatened three deputies. Mr. Singer’s actions resulted in the attempted arrest on January 18. While officers were affecting the arrest, Mr. Singer pulled a pistol and pointed it at them. He refused to put the weapon down and pointed it repeatedly at the officers. He was shot by one of the officers when the officer felt Singer was going to shoot him. Singer died as a result of wounds from a 00 shotgun blast.

Sgt. Hayward was promoted to lieutenant in Tooele County and served there for a short time and then he was moved to Headquarters as the Inspector. The Inspector’s position was internal affairs at that time in the history of the Patrol. He traveled around the State observing the activities of the troopers and the condition of the equipment and facilities used by the Patrol. He was also charged with the responsibility of ensuring troopers had the tools they needed to do their job. During this time he found the troopers at one of the ports of entry were using a cigar box as a cash register to hold money collected in the sale of permits. He immediately made sure each port of entry had a functioning cash register.

In the early 1980’s Lt. Hayward was promoted to captain over the Commercial Vehicle and Port of Entry program. He retired as a captain in 1986. He was an active participant and observer in the transition of the Utah Highway Patrol from an infant law enforcement agency to a professional and nationally recognized agency. Bob and those who worked with him were instrumental in making the Patrol what it is today.

Special thanks to Ken Bryant, Dave Popelmayer, Marion Hayward and Mindy Mattics.